Like most of my co-joiners, I was clueless when I stepped into the world of IT for the first time. After the mandatory training period, when I entered the realm of projects and client works, there was always the words “Business Analyst” that made my life harder. Invariably, after a meeting with the BA, my assigned work would change, and there would be an ‘occasional’ rework. While I toiled as a novice, the BA seemed to be enjoying the greener pastures of client location and ordering us around.
Today after drifting away from the core IT industry, I find most of my then clueless co-joiners are Business analysts (in many fancy job titles). I often wondered then, and sometimes do now, what do Business analysts do? Why are they so much coveted in the service sector of the software industry? And browsing the internet, I found I was not the only one with the same question.
Primary Business Analyst can be of two types.
One who handles more of the business part, and the other who handles more of the IT requirements part.
What do BAs do?
So when a project is assigned to an organization, the Business analyst is one of those in the team who breaks down the requirements of the project. S/He is involved in requirements gathering, project management, deliverable prioritization, and even user acceptance testing.
Many business analysts are also Business graduates, and they act as consultants to the organization. There are some business development and consulting projects which do not involve implementation.These BAs are the primary resources of those projects. For example, organization A is planning to buy organization B and wants to analyze the profitability\feasibility of such a transaction. The Business Analysts come up with relevant facts and figures for helping make the decision.
What are the required skills?
The mandatory skills for this role are product understanding, technical knowledge, and people skills.Of course, there are levels of seniority. While a junior business analyst may be writing down the requirement specification document and getting that signed off by the client, a senior business analyst will consult the client on kind of features required or timelines.
A lot of the responsibilities owned by the business analyst is performed by different team members(like in my case ), but the BA is the interface between the client and the software organization.
A major part of the job can be done by common sense, proper communication skills, and leadership skills, but hey these facets are not as common as I would like to believe.
This article is majorly based on the Quora link: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-role-of-a-business-analyst-in-an-IT-company
- The story of art: the cost of exclusivity in the digital age - May 7, 2019
- The Screen time dilemma – the conflicted reality of today’s life - January 31, 2019
- 8 things you can do if you are in India during Sankranti - January 16, 2019
- One night with Friends, Mothers and the Calcutta Bungalow - December 29, 2018
- Reduce Your Global Carbon Footprint -The Indian Middleclass Way! - December 11, 2018
- The Rise of Fall! - October 26, 2018
- If you complain that #metoo is scary, read this - October 20, 2018
- Miguel Street – Experience the world in one street - October 2, 2018
- Dr Mandakranta Bose: On Sanskrit, her journey, and organizing the 17th World Sanskrit Conference - September 19, 2018
- Whatever happened to the Romance novels? - September 6, 2018