“Hazaaron khwahishen aisi ke har khwahish pe dam nikle
Bohat niklay mere armaan, lekin phir bhi kam nikle”
It was a pleasure to get to know the man who harbors a thousand desires. And, Sujoy Prosad Chatterjee is a man on a mission, set to fulfill them all, one desire a time. Sujoy is an acclaimed elocutionist and an interdisciplinary artist. I met him at his soulful recital and musical performances in Vancouver this October, where he mesmerized the audience with his rendition of Raktokorobi, among many other Bengali, Hindi, Punjabi, English, and Urdu poetry. Sujoy is in the middle of a whirlwind tour of the west, flying from one concert to another when I grabbed the chance to hear from the suave man.
“At dawn of man, many words of inspiration” – Toba Beta
The beginning of Sujoy’s journey is a familiar one. A graduate from South Point High school, an Economics graduate from the prestigious Calcutta University, an MBA graduate with a cushy job – he already had it going for him. But, unlike many others, he refused to settle at that.
“There’s always a moment that separates the past from the future, and that moment is now.” ― Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel
“I was always interested in arts and I never knew that I would pursue this as my calling. Precisely in 2003, when I returned to Kolkata after leaving a fat-pay job in Delhi and lost my father, my world kind of crumbled down. I also had a serious neurological disease and I had to be on medication and almost out of job for a year”, recollects the versatile performing artist.
- The story of art: the cost of exclusivity in the digital age - May 7, 2019
- The Screen time dilemma – the conflicted reality of today’s life - January 31, 2019
- 8 things you can do if you are in India during Sankranti - January 16, 2019
- One night with Friends, Mothers and the Calcutta Bungalow - December 29, 2018
- Reduce Your Global Carbon Footprint -The Indian Middleclass Way! - December 11, 2018
- The Rise of Fall! - October 26, 2018
- If you complain that #metoo is scary, read this - October 20, 2018
- Miguel Street – Experience the world in one street - October 2, 2018
- Dr Mandakranta Bose: On Sanskrit, her journey, and organizing the 17th World Sanskrit Conference - September 19, 2018
- Whatever happened to the Romance novels? - September 6, 2018