We are all familiar with “fan pages.” Almost every celebrity, famous sports tournaments, movies, etc. have pages that are created, run and maintained by fans. Typical, useful fan pages are those that re-post news or game updates. Blank Slate Chronicles got a chance to go behind the scenes of one such hugely popular IPL fan page: IPL 2018. We had a tete-a-tete with the page owner, Abhinav. Here is his story:
A recent engineering grad, from Dehradun, Abhinav hails from Bhagalpur, Bihar. Like millions of other Indians, Abhinav loves, dreams, and breathes cricket. A true blooded fan of Sachin, he can recount his centuries, scores, and matches like a child can recite nursery rhymes.
During his college days, IPL was hugely popular. Being interested in computers, he started a page where he updated IPL scores for his friends who could not watch the live matches. Soon the page gained popularity. Within three years, Abhinav’s page had gained about 1.5 lakh followers. He did not stop at one page. From a fan page dedicated to Sachin, to a cricket score blog, he manages a whole lot of things today. In fact, in Facebook alone, he manages 15 pages, all quite popular.
How much hard work is it?
Well, for the IPL fan page alone, he (or other admins partnering with him at times) has to watch all matches, and keep updating commentary, post videos, curate content, answer fan messages. This takes up hours of his day, throughout the IPL season! ” This is almost a full-time job. Creating content, researching latest topics, taking care of SEO, sharing, I have to do all the tasks of a website owner!”
Who likes it?
Some interesting Fan trivia
A lot of the messages I receive are from people who think my page is the official IPL page. They often request me to show their name on television! Well, I have to disappoint them 🙂 I can only offer updates and scores!
Why does he do this?
I grew up loving cricket. This is the closest I have come to official cricket and cricketers! I also enjoy website development, and SEO analytics. I am a huge fan of Sachin. While my page has been tagged by many players, I am waiting for the day when the God himself messages me or tags me!
Some favorite matches?
In a split second he answers, India vs Pakistan world cup match in 2003, and the Natwest final in 2002! “I don’t think any cricket loving Indian can forget these two matches.”
Abhinav is a smart engineer and a whiz kid. He has chosen this unusual route to follow his passion while he prepares for government entrance exams. Cricket keeps him going, love for the game along with his technical skills helps him sustain! Blank Slate Chronicles thanks him for his time and for sharing his interesting journey with our readers and us!
Also read our IPL analysis: IPL 2017 Teams: What are the Teams Bringing to the field this year?
- The story of art: the cost of exclusivity in the digital age - May 7, 2019
- The Screen time dilemma – the conflicted reality of today’s life - January 31, 2019
- 8 things you can do if you are in India during Sankranti - January 16, 2019
- One night with Friends, Mothers and the Calcutta Bungalow - December 29, 2018
- Reduce Your Global Carbon Footprint -The Indian Middleclass Way! - December 11, 2018
- The Rise of Fall! - October 26, 2018
- If you complain that #metoo is scary, read this - October 20, 2018
- Miguel Street – Experience the world in one street - October 2, 2018
- Dr Mandakranta Bose: On Sanskrit, her journey, and organizing the 17th World Sanskrit Conference - September 19, 2018
- Whatever happened to the Romance novels? - September 6, 2018